Learn how to make an easy homemade graham cracker crust recipe without hydrogenated fats and only a few simple ingredients.
I love to make my own graham cracker pie crust. Not only is it super easy, but it's much healthier and tastier than the store-bought versions. I do buy the Arrowhead Mills organic graham crusts when I am in a hurry, but homemade is pretty awesome. Regular store-bought graham cracker crusts are made with hydrogenated fats. Also, most regular graham crackers are made with hydrogenated fats, so look for whole grain, all-natural crackers in the organic section of the grocery store or your closest natural food store.
How To Make A Healthier Homemade Graham Cracker Crust
Whole Foods has a good selection of healthier graham crackers. Three simple ingredients go into this crust. You can also make this a chocolate crust by using the natural chocolate graham crackers. Make sure that you use the turbinado (raw) sugar for the crust. It gives a sweet crunch that you cannot get from refined sugar.
Ingredients You'll Need:
1 ½ cups crushed whole-grain graham crackers (I love the all-natural Mi-Del honey Grahams sweetened with honey and unsulphured molasses) *It's about a sleeve of crackers
¼ cup raw organic turbinado sugar
⅓ cup organic salted butter, melted (you can also use the olive oil butter blend sticks)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place graham crackers in a food processor and run until you have nice crumbs. In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Add butter and blend well.
Press onto the bottom and sides of a 9-in pie plate.
Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Cool completely before filling. This crust is amazing with chocolate pie and my favorite Lightened-Up Coconut Creme Pie.
Easy Homemade Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 ½ cups crushed whole-grain graham crackers *about 1 sleeve of crackers
- ¼ cup raw turbinado sugar
- ⅓ cup salted butter *can also use the olive oil butter blend sticks
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Process graham crackers in a food processor until finely ground into crumbs
- In a medium-size bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar
- Add butter and blend well
- Press into the bottom of a 9" pie plate
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- Cool completely before filling.