This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This Gluten-Free Homemade Butterscotch Pudding is rich, creamy, and incredibly delicious! This homemade pudding is made with coconut sugar and low-fat milk for a delicious healthier dessert without sacrificing taste or flavor.
I've got a nagging sweet tooth. It's really my biggest obstacle to staying lean and fit. However, I've found some great tricks over the years to help satisfy my cravings without undoing all of my efforts. I believe in treating myself when I really want a little treat, so recipes like this gluten-free homemade butterscotch pudding are perfect for satisfying cravings. It eliminates the binging urges when avoidance turns to madness...we've all been there, telling yourself you can't have that chocolate torte makes you want to bury your face in it. Not good.
When I really want a good dessert, I go for homemade. It's a much better splurge than store-bought processed desserts loaded with things I can't pronounce. I love to use coconut sugar for a tasty low-glycemic sweetener. It smells and tastes like a combination of molasses and brown sugar. It works well in so many recipes. I've been using it for several years now to replace sugar in many of my recipes. The flavor is perfect for this pudding recipe. If you don't have coconut sugar in your pantry, you can always substitute it with brown sugar.
What You Need For Gluten-Free Butterscotch Pudding
- Coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- Low-fat milk (you can also go for full-fat here)
- Egg yolks
- Vanilla extract
- Toasted pecans (you can also use Heath chips or brickle bits)
- Cooking spray
Combine coconut sugar (or brown sugar), cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add milk and egg yolks, a little at a time, whisking until smooth. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is thickened, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
Pour the pudding into 5 ramekins or parfait dishes. Cover each pudding with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray and cool for 15 minutes. Chill, covered, at least 4 hours, and top with nuts or brickle bits.
LIKE THIS RECIPE? DON'T FORGET TO PIN IT FOR LATER, RATE, COMMENT, AND SHARE! 🙂
Gluten-Free Homemade Butterscotch Pudding
- ½ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 3 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 cups low-fat milk 2%
- 2 large egg yolks slightly beaten
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- toasted pecans or almond brickle chips such as Heath chips
- Combine coconut sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add milk and egg yolks, a little at a time, whisking until smooth.
- Bring mixture to a boil and cook 2-3 minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring constantly. Remove pan from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour into 5 ramekins or small bowls.
- Cover each pudding with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray and cool for 15 minutes.
- Chill at least 4 hours and top with nuts or brickle bits.