This is an easy recipe for homemade croissants that are made with cottage cheese, stuffed with dried cranberries and drizzled with a heavenly orange glaze. These Orange Cranberry Glazed Cheese Croissants would make a sweet addition to a holiday breakfast.
I’ll be honest with ya’ll, I made these with whole grain white wheat flour on my first attempt and they tasted like poo. Lesson learned, don’t sub the white flour for wheat it makes them too dense and grainy, but at least go for the unbleached version. King Arthur flour is my favorite, it always yields great baked goods. I’m always looking to make things healthier, but it’s not worth sacrificing the quality of the recipe, or the happiness of my taste buds.
I love these low sugar cranberries to add to recipes. Most recipes have enough sweetness, so it’s a great way to cut some of the sugar. If you don’t love cranberries, just leave them out. The orange glazed croissants are tasty all by themselves.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup low-sugar dried cranberries
- ½ tbsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1¼ cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp half and half or whole milk
- In a large mixing bowl, combine softened butter, cottage cheese, flour and salt
- Blend until cottage cheese is well incorporated
- Form mixture into a flat circle and wrap with plastic wrap
- Refrigerate dough for 2-3 hours, or until firm
- Dust a large cutting board with a little flour and roll out the dough to form a 12-14" circle
- Cut circle into eight pieces (like a pie) and place a few dried cranberries at the top section of each triangle
- Roll up croissants from wide end to narrow tip and place onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet
- Brush each croissant with the egg white and bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden
- Whisk together orange zest, orange juice, half and half and confectioner's sugar in a medium size bowl.
- Cool croissants for 5 minutes, then drizzle glaze over top.
- Serve warm or room temperature.