This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
A slow cooker recipe for lean beef black bean chili that’s easy to make and full of protein, fiber and vegetables for an easy healthy meal.
This month for The Recipe Redux, we were challenged to re-do a recipe from the nearest cookbook, turning to a page containing any of the numbers from the year 2016 and give it a healthy makeover. My Southern Living Slow Cooker Cookbook was the first one I grabbed, so I opened it up to page 16 and found a recipe for homestyle chili.
To make the recipe a little healthier, I modified it to create this Lean Beef Black Bean Chili recipe. It’s a lightened-up chili recipe with added fiber and reduced fat. I went with black beans because I love them, and they have a whopping 15 grams of fiber per cup!
Black beans are right behind lentils and split peas in their high fiber content. Nailing your daily fiber goals (I shoot for 25-30 grams) is easy with this nutrient-dense meal.
This chili is full of veggies, smart carbs and lean, muscle-building, protein. You can make a large pot of this chili for meal prep and enjoy leftovers throughout the week. Less time in the kitchen = winning.
I love different variations of chili and have a few more favorites on the blog that you should definitely check out!
More Favorite Chili Recipes!
Butternut Squash Chili, that’s perfect for a chilly fall evening
Fire Roasted Garlic Beef & Quinoa Chili that’s fast to whip up in a skillet
Easy Slow Cooker Chili, a good classic chili recipe
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili, for my non-meat eaters
White Bean Bison Chili, made in the slow cooker with white kidney beans
Wicked Good Pork Tenderloin Chili, a slow cooker recipe that’s loaded with flavor
As you can see, we make a lot of chili around here! What’s your favorite chili recipe?
Don’t forget to check out all of the tasty recipe makeovers, like this Lean Beef Black Bean Chili, from my Recipe Redux friends below! You’ll find a lot of great healthy eating inspiration to kick start your new year!
Slow Cooker Lean Beef Black Bean Chili #TheRecipeRedux
- 1 lb lean ground beef 93% or less, cooked and drained of excess fat
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 10.75 oz can tomato puree
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 12 oz packages frozen 3 pepper and onion blend (green, yellow, red and onion)
- 1 tbsp Mexican seasoning I used the Goya all-purpose Adobo seasoning
- 1 tbsp green Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- chopped fresh cilantro to taste
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet and drain off excess fat
- Place beef in the bottom of a slow cooker
- Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro, and cook on low for 6 hours
- Garnish with cilantro and any other toppings you'd like.