This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This is a great recipe for homestyle macaroni and cheese that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters. Even my gluten-loving kiddos ate this up and asked for seconds. This gluten-free macaroni & cheese bake is so full of cheesy goodness that you won’t even know the difference from the original!
Proper selection of the gluten-free is pasta is crucial to the success of this dish. Some of them just turn to mush when you cook them….and that would be a casserole fail. I used the Hodgson’s Mill brown rice elbow macaroni and the Tinkyada rice pasta and both turned out great. The Tinkyada is actually my favorite. Be sure and cook it al dente and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. It will have plenty of time to finish plumping when you bake it in the oven.
Gluten-Free Macaroni & Cheese Bake
*I’ve made a modification to the original recipe and added two beaten eggs to the cheese mixture before baking. It turns out more like southern macaroni bake and was absolutely delicious! If you like more of a macaroni casserole texture, add the eggs. If you want a more creamy mac and cheese, just follow the original recipe.
Gluten-Free Macaroni and Cheese Bake
- 8 oz box gluten-free elbow macaroni pasta (such as Hodgson Mill brown rice elbow macaroni or Tinkyada brown rice pasta)
- 6 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 tbsp gluten-free all-purpose flour King Arthur brand recommended
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 5 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups extra sharp white cheddar such as Cabot's, shredded fresh from block
- 2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar freshly shredded from block
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook macaroni "al-dente" according to package directions, immediately drain in a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Set pasta aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Blend in flour, salt, peppers and dry mustard with a whisk, then add milk.
- Cook until beginning to thicken and smooth.
- Add half of the cheese and stir until blended.
- Pour macaroni into a 9x13" pan sprayed with cooking spray and add cheese mixture. Stir until mixed and then top with remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 25-30 minutes until set and lightly golden on top.