This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Classic Popovers are easy and fun to make. It's a light and airy roll that puffs beautifully when baked. They will let out a burst of steamy air when you break them open.
These rolls remind me of a cream puff without the filling. The texture is so similar. I'm sharing a step-by-step tutorial on how to make easy classic popovers, one of my favorite breakfast treats!
When I saw this recipe in my great-grandmother's vintage cookbook, I had to try it. I followed the recipe from the late 1800s exactly, but I did add a tsp of vanilla to the batter. I love them served warm with homemade jam, so a hint of vanilla was a great addition.
There is a quote from one of my favorite children's authors about popovers " “My uncle ordered popovers from the restaurant's bill of fare. And, when they were served, he regarded them with a penetrating stare. Then he spoke great words of wisdom as he sat there on that chair: "To eat these things," said my uncle, "You must exercise great care. You may swallow down what's solid, but you must spit out the air!"― Dr. Seuss
How To Make Popovers
(recipe from Table, Home, and Health cookbook 1892)
The Original Vintage Recipe
- Unbleached white wheat flour (such as King Arthur brand)
- Whole milk
That's it! You only need a few simple ingredients to make these amazing fluffy rolls.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 cup muffin pan. I like to use a baking spray that already has flour in it. It's so much easier than greasing and flouring a pan and works great. In a medium-size bowl, beat the eggs slightly. Next, add all of the other ingredients to the eggs.
Beat until just smooth. Do not over-mix (very important). Fill 12 muffin cups evenly with batter.
Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 5-10 minutes more until popovers are puffed and set. They should be lightly golden brown on top. Immediately remove from pan and serve hot.
These classic popovers are best hot from the oven and SO delicious with homemade jam.
Easy Classic Popovers Recipe
- 2 cups unbleached white wheat flour such as King Arthur brand
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp butter melted
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 12 cup muffin pan (I use Pam baking spray-it already has flour in it and so much easier!)
- In a medium-size bowl, beat eggs slightly.
- Add all of the other ingredients to the eggs. Beat until just smooth. Do not over mix (very important).
- Fill 12 muffin cups evenly with batter.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 5-10 minutes more until popovers are puffed and set and lightly golden brown on top.
- Immediately remove from pan and serve hot.
- Herb-Roasted Sheet Pan Chicken with Potatoes and Green Beans - February 8, 2021
- 50 Easy Breakfast Meal Prep Recipes - February 3, 2021
- Healthy Mixed Berry Smoothie - February 1, 2021