This delicious Slow Cooker Ham and Broccoli Bread Pudding recipe is a guest post from Katie Webster, the talented creator of Healthy Seasonal Recipes. Please stop by her blog for a visit. You'll definitely want to stay a while!
Hey healthy recipe loving folks. I am glad to be here sharing this Slow Cooker Ham and Broccoli Bread Pudding recipe while Amee is being amazing and kicking cancer’s butt. She is such an inspiration, that I am honored to be able to help out in any way I can. A guest post seemed like small way to give her a hand and help keep all of you in the kitchen, cooking healthy recipes.
When I was brainstorming ideas for recipes to share here, I kept coming back to the slow cooker. Every idea I had involved the slow cooker.
Slow cooker recipes around here are especially appreciated right now. My younger daughter (age 7) just started horseback riding lessons. I never rode as a kid, but even a few weeks in, just seeing the look on my daughter’s face when she is on the horse… oh boy! I am bracing for becoming a horse family!
Between trips to the stables and three times a week taking my other daughter (age 9) to the dance studio, we are super busy in the afternoons. (Question, is anyone not these days?) Which means, we get home at 5:45 and dinner needs to be ready to go. Enter the slow cooker! Can I get a high to the five?!
I landed on the idea of making a savory bread pudding in the slow cooker for this post today because it is a yummy and satisfying dinner, and it also a make-ahead recipe to serve for brunch this spring. With Easter and Mother’s day right around the corner, I know you’re probably pinning all sorts of brunch ideas.
I have been testing this over the last couple of weeks and it has been so delicious. It is comforting, yet loaded with veggies and made with whole-grain. I used just enough smoky ham and sharp cheddar cheese to make it taste great, but I was sure to cut a few corners in the calorie department, by subbing in egg whites and low-fat milk in place of the traditional cream and whole eggs. I hope you’ll agree that it hits the right balance of healthy, comforting and yummy!
In fact, I wouldn’t necessarily wait for Easter or for Mother’s Day brunch to try it. Just whip up some salad and you’re ready for a home-cooked meal right when you walk in the door.
Thank you all for having me here today. I hope you enjoy this slow cooker ham and broccoli bread pudding.
Please stop by my blog to say hi some time.
I’d love to e-meet you. And Amee, you just keep crushin’ it lady! We have your back dear friend.
Slow Cooker Ham and Broccoli Bread Pudding
- slow cooker
- 6 egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed day-old whole-grain bread crusts removed if desired
- 1 10- ounce box frozen chopped broccoli thawed and drained
- 8- ounces cubed boneless ham steak about 1 ½ cups
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- Whisk egg whites, eggs and milk in the insert of a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Stir in 1 cup (4 ounces) cheddar, salt and pepper.
- Stir in bread, broccoli, ham and chives.
- Layer the remaining ½ cup (2 ounces) of cheese over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 ½ hours until it is puffed in the center and an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the casserole registers at or above 160 degrees F.
- Let cool in slow cooker, uncovered for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Mocha Protein Shake - March 15, 2023
- San Marzano Pizza Sauce - March 13, 2023
- Whipped Feta Dip with Roasted Tomatoes and Olives - March 6, 2023
Subscribe for 5 protein-packed one-dish dinners delivered straight to your INBOX!
These 5 easy protein-packed one-dish recipes make mealtime a breeze!
Hi Amee, wishing you all the best as you undergo your cancer treatment. Luckily breast cancer is so much more treatable now.
Thank you so much Kalyn! I was lucky to catch this early!