This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Gluten-free oatmeal carmelitas are chewy oatmeal bars with creamy caramel, chocolate, and crunchy pecans. This easy gluten-free bar cookies recipe makes the perfect after school snacks or gluten free dessert.
I hope you love the recipe for gluten-free oatmeal carmelitas as much as I do!
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour I use King Arthur brand
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup salted caramel sauce cooled to room temperature *recipe below
- 3 tbsp gluten-free all purpose flour
- Mix first seven ingredients together in a stand mixture on low speed until it begins to form crumbs. Press half of this mixture into the bottom of an 8" square baking dish (you need to reserve half of this mix for the topping.) Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. Sprinkle chopped nuts and chocolate chips over crust as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Combine salted caramel sauce and 3 tbsp gluten-free flour with a whisk. Drizzle over nuts and chocolate chips. Sprinkle remaining crumbs over the top and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and serve. *Chill for easy slicing.
Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Combine sugar and water in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar is completely dissolved. Slowly bring to a boil and do not stir. Boil until the syrup becomes a rich amber color, about 5-6 minutes, making sure to scrape down the sides of the pot. Remove from heat and quickly whisk in heavy cream. Then stir in butter and salt. Transfer to a bowl and cool.