This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
A delicious and nutrient-dense recipe for Easy Mexican Burritos made with homemade pinto beans. You can also freeze these burritos for a quick meal on-the-go. This post has been updated on Sept. 6, 2019, from the original version posted on March 24, 2011.
This awesome homemade pinto bean recipe came from my friend, Tracy. I met Tracy while living in Ohio. She taught me so much about organic living and healthy cooking. I am so thankful for her influence and fabulous kitchen tips.
I love to have these easy freezer bean burritos on hand for a quick lunch. This is also a very inexpensive meal to feed a large family, packed with protein and fiber.
Serve them with fresh salsa, sliced avocado and you have a nutritious well-rounded meal, too. Ditch the tortilla and the beans make a great side dish for your next Mexican themed meal.
How To Make Homemade Pinto Beans
Allow 1 lb of dried pinto beans to soak in a pot of water overnight. Rinse them, place back in the pot and cover with 8 cups of water (you can also use half chicken broth and half water for a flavor boost). Add 1 tbsp olive oil and 8 green onions, chopped. Bring to a boil, add salt and simmer 2-3 hours.
*Another great cooking method is to cook beans on high in a crockpot for 8 hours, using the same ingredients above. I usually double the recipe and love this method for convenience and extra meals.
Add the cooked beans with a slotted spoon to the onion mixture and mash or puree with an emulsion blender.
I like to cream half the beans and leave some whole for more texture. You can also add some of the liquid from the pot of beans to adjust the texture to your personal preference.
Optional: You can add 8 oz shredded Monterey jack cheese to the beans and stir until melted. Season with sea salt to taste (1 used 1 tbsp). This is a great method if you are filling and rolling your burritos to freeze for later.
Assemble burritos with all of your favorite toppings.
How To Freeze Premade Bean Burritos
Measure about ½ cup bean mixture for each tortilla, fold the sides in and roll-up. I love whole wheat, high protein and/or low-carb tortillas for this recipe. There a lot of tasty options that you’d never know are low-carb and high in fiber.
This recipe makes about 10-12 burritos. I wrap them individually in plastic wrap, place in a freezer bag, and freeze for a quick lunch or dinner. Thaw in the microwave on low-medium heat so they don’t dry out.
Great Topping Ideas for Easy Mexican Burritos
If serving right away, assemble burritos with your favorite toppings. Cooked rice, tomatoes, shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, avocado, and salsa are all tasty ways to top this burrito recipe. I also love adding freshly sautéed yellow, green and red peppers.
Easy Mexican Burritos with Homemade Pinto Beans
- 1 lb of dried pinto beans soaked in water overnight
- 8 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 green onions chopped *you can also use 1 tsp onion powder instead
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 8 oz shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Drain and rinse pinto beans and place them into a pot with 8 cups of water. Add olive oil and chopped green onion.
- Bring to a boil, add salt and simmer 2-3 hours, until beans are fork tender. *
- In a large pan over medium heat, add oil, onion and garlic. Sauté until soft, but do not brown.
- Add cooked beans with a slotted spoon to the onion mixture and mash using a potato masher, or puree with an immersion blender, leaving some beans partially mashed for additional texture, if desired.
- Add shredded cheese, if using in the beans, to the beans and stir until melted. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Build your own bean burritos or freeze them for later
Latest posts by Amee Livingston (see all)
- Applewood Bacon-Wrapped Venison Loin with Raspberry Sauce - November 15, 2019
- The Best Roasted Vegetable Salad - November 5, 2019
- Pumpkin Oat Flour Pancakes Made With Kefir - October 31, 2019