A delicious southern recipe for Easy Blackberry Cobbler that's perfect for your summertime gathering. Don't forget the ice cream!
Blackberry cobbler is one of my husband's favorite desserts. I made a few substitutions to our favorite southern quick cobbler recipe without compromising taste. I swapped out the white self-rising flour with a whole wheat pastry flour (unbleached all-purpose flour works great too) and used the olive oil butter blend sticks to replace all butter in the recipe. Believe me, if he could tell the difference, he would not be a happy camper. 😉
Most quick cobbler recipes, like this one, call for self-rising flour. Since I wanted to use a healthier flour substitute, baking powder is added to help it rise. Serve topped with vanilla frozen yogurt or low-fat vanilla ice cream. We think it's absolutely delicious and summertime just isn't the same without it!
I LOVE fruit-based desserts! A few more favorites are this Triple Berry Crisp, Peach Almond Crisp (this one is vegan, wheat-free, and dairy-free!), and the one I always crave in the fall, Amazing Apple Crisp.
How To Make Easy Blackberry Cobbler
1 stick (½ cup) olive oil butter blend (such as Land O'Lakes)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup sugar (can also use Truvia sugar blend or coconut sugar)
1 cup milk (2%)
⅛ teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh blackberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash fresh blackberries by rinsing several times in cool water and set aside. These babies are beautiful!!
Melt butter in a 1 ½ to 2 qt. casserole dish in the oven or microwave. Set aside. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add sugar and milk to flour mixture and stir until combined. Pour this mixture over the melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon blackberries evenly over batter, but do not stir.
Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
Top with your favorite frozen yogurt or ice cream and enjoy!
Easy Blackberry Cobbler
- ½ cup butter I use the olive oil butter blend sticks
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash fresh blackberries by rinsing several times in cool water and set aside.
- Melt butter in a 1 ½ to 2 qt. casserole dish in the oven or microwave.
- Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add sugar and milk to flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour this mixture over the melted butter.
- Do not stir.
- Spoon blackberries evenly over batter, but do not stir.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.