Packing healthy lunches for your kids doesn’t have to be a daunting task! There are a lot of clean-eating options that are nutritious and tasty that kids will enjoy. Children tend to be visual eaters, so making food attractive and fun is a great way to encourage them to try new things. You don’t have to invest in expensive bento boxes or food cutters, although they do have some cool ones out there if you’re willing to splurge. I use a few different BPA-free, dishwasher safe lunch containers that I found at Marshalls and TJ Maxx. I also found some Disney themed BPA-free containers at the Dollar store. My daughter loves those and they were really cheap! I used a small biscuit cutter to make the mini whole-grain ham and cheese sandwiches. You can always improvise with what you have in the kitchen. Cookie cutters also work great for making fun shapes out of cheese and bread.
I’m sharing some of our favorite lunches below, but there are so many other options for packing a nutritious lunch. Leftover soups, casseroles, whole grain pasta with marinara and chili are great options for hot lunches. As well as, salads with good dressing choices. You can make homemade “lunchables” with fun cookie cutters, whole grain crackers, cheese and low-sodium deli meat. If your kids have a favorite clean-eating lunch, please comment below. I would love to read your ideas and inspiration!
Mini ham and cheese sandwiches made from whole grain bagel thins, sliced carrots, hummus and fruit salad.
Peanut butter (use any nut butter), banana and honey sandwich on a whole grain bagel thin, cheese stick, a clementine, sliced carrots and cherry tomatoes.
Turkey, spinach and cheese roll-up sandwich made with a whole grain tortilla, Back to Nature crispy cheddar crackers, sliced carrots and cherry tomatoes and a natural fruit leather.
Ham and cheese roll-up sandwich with whole grain blue corn chips, organic salsa, a clementine and grapes.
For the vegetarian: Vanilla or plain Greek yogurt, fruit kabobs, cheese stick and sliced carrots.
Check out all the other cool back-to-school inspired ideas from my Sunday Supper friends below!
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Muffins from Killer Bunnies
- Make Ahead Waffle Casserole from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Apple Muffins from Meal Diva
- Apple Oat Breakfast Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Toast Three Ways from Foxes Love Lemons
Back to School Lunches and Simple Suppers
- Owl Bento Box from Simply Gourmet
- First Day of School Pinwheels from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Quick and Easy Hot Pastrami Sliders from Webicurean
- Grilled Chicken Revamp from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken and Zucchinin Meatballs from Casa de Crews
- Clean Eating Lunches Your Kids will Love from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Crispy Chicken Legs from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- DIY Veggie Cup Noodles from Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Nuggets from Nosh my Way
- Skinny Spinach Mac and Cheese from Take a Bite out of Boca
- Chicken Schnitzle from Panning the Globe
- Berry Nutty Bento from Ninja Baking
- Spagetti and Chicken Meatballs from Soni’s Food
- Chopped Shrimp Salad with Honey Lime Vinagraitte from The Weekend Gourmet
- Steak & Cheese Pockets from Momma’s Meals
- Turkey Pinwheels from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Back to School Sips
Back to School Super Snacks
- Nutty Granola from Life Tastes Good
- On the Go Guacamole from Shannon at Country Girl in the Village
- Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Playground Granola Bars from Noshing with the Nolands
- Apricot Dip from Magnolia Days
- Parmesan Garlic Oven Roasted Chick Peas from Ruffles and Truffles
- Home Made Graham Crackers from Curious Cuisiniere
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Gluten Free Apple Zucchini Flax Bread from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Beef and Veggie Sliders from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Popcorn from Simply Healthy Family
- Frushi (Fruit Sushi) from Mama Bee Does
Back to School Sweets and Treats
- Open Face PB & J Cookies from Desserts Required
- Berry Topped Chocolate Silk Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Paletas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Love Note Doodle Bugs from Happy Baking Days
- Frozen Yogurt Mud Pies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brown Butter Peanut Butter Crispy Treats from The Texan New Yorker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.