Lightened-Up Southern Macaroni and Cheese
A lightened-up recipe for classic southern macaroni and cheese that has all the delicious flavor and taste of the original with half the calories.
- 8 oz uncooked elbow macaroni cook according to package directions (I prefer Dreamfields, it's a low-glycemic, low-carb pasta that actually tastes good!)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 8 oz Cabot extra-sharp cheddar shredded
- 12 oz 50% less fat Cabot's sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ⅓ cup light sour cream
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 tbsp butter melted (I also love the Land O'Lakes olive oil butter blend sticks as a sub)
- Dash ground mustard
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Boil macaroni according to package, drain and cool. In a large bowl, mix all other ingredients (except ¾ cup cheddar cheese for topping). Toss with cooked macaroni. Transfer to a baking dish sprayed with olive oil cooking spray. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until just cheese just starts to turn golden (do not brown).
Let sit for 10 minutes before serving to thicken.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 246mg | Potassium: 119mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 281IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 239mg | Iron: 1mg