Lightened-Up Southern Macaroni and Cheese
A lightened-up recipe for classic southern macaroni and cheese that has all the delicious flavor and taste of the original with half the calories.
- 8 oz uncooked elbow macaroni cook according to package directions (I prefer Dreamfields, it's a low-glycemic, low-carb pasta that actually tastes good!)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 8 oz Cabot extra-sharp cheddar shredded
- 12 oz 50% less fat Cabot's sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ⅓ cup light sour cream
- 1 ½ cups 2% organic milk
- 4 tbsp smart balance stick butter melted (I also love the Land O'Lakes olive oil butter blend sticks)
- Dash ground mustard
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Boil macaroni according to package, drain and cool. In a large bowl, mix all other ingredients (except ¾ cup cheddar cheese for topping). Toss with cooked macaroni. Transfer to a baking dish sprayed with olive oil cooking spray. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until just cheese just starts to turn golden (do not brown).
Let sit for 10 minutes before serving to thicken.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 202kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 12g