Lightened-Up Southern Macaroni and Cheese
A lightened-up recipe for classic southern macaroni and cheese that has all the delicious flavor and taste of the original with half the calories.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 8 oz uncooked elbow macaroni cook according to package directions (I prefer Dreamfields, it's a low-glycemic, low-carb pasta that actually tastes good!)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 8 oz Cabot extra-sharp cheddar shredded
- 12 oz 50% less fat Cabot's sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 ½ cups 2% organic milk
- 4 tbsp smart balance stick butter melted (I also love the Land O'Lakes olive oil butter blend sticks)
- Dash ground mustard
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Boil macaroni according to package, drain and cool. In a large bowl, mix all other ingredients (except ¾ cup cheddar cheese for topping). Toss with cooked macaroni. Transfer to a baking dish sprayed with olive oil cooking spray. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until just cheese just starts to turn golden (do not brown).
Let sit for 10 minutes before serving to thicken.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 202kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 12g