Date Nut Cake- Project Vintage Recipes
This incredibly moist vintage Date Nut Cake recipe is just like grandma used to make, made with unbleached flour, butter, spices, dates and nuts.
- 1 lb dates chopped fine pits removed
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick, softened
- 1 cup natural brown sugar
- 1/2 cup organic white sugar
- 2 well beaten eggs
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour King Arthur's brand
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup nuts chopped (I used pecans, but walnuts would be great too)
Place chopped dates in a large bowl and sprinkle with baking soda.
Pour boiling water over the dates and let sit until cool.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and both sugars and then add the beaten eggs.
Mix until creamy.
Sift the flours with the teaspoon of cinnamon and then slowly add to the butter mixture until all is incorporated.
Add vanilla, dates (with water) and chopped nuts and stir until blended.
Pour into two 9 inch greased and floured cake pans and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool on wire racks.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
This can also be served topped with fresh whipped cream.