Easy Spinach Calzones
Fresh spinach, mushrooms, and two kinds of cheese are baked inside of French bread dough to create this quick and easy vegetarian calzone recipe.
- 8 oz low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups packed fresh spinach
- ½ cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- ⅓ sweet onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 14.1 oz package refrigerated pizza dough *I use Wewalka European bakery-style pizza crust in the refrigerated section of the grocery store
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms and cook until soft. Add spinach and garlic and cook until all spinach is wilted. Drain, cool and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, egg, Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper. Add cooled spinach mixture to cheese mixture and blend.
Flour a large cutting board and unroll the pizza dough to form a large rectangle. Use a rolling pin to smooth it out, if necessary. Cut into 6 even slices with a pizza cutter. Spoon about ½ cup filling into each square. Fold over and seal the edges with a fork.
Place calzones onto a greased cookie sheet or pizza pan sprayed with cooking spray. Cut a few small slits in each calzone to vent, and brush with a little olive oil.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until nicely browned on tops and bottoms.
Serve with your favorite marinara sauce for dipping.
Calories: 294kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 642mg | Potassium: 173mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1400IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 281mg | Iron: 2mg