Easy Okra Stew with Tomatoes
A simple but flavorful side dish made with fresh okra and canned tomatoes. Delicious served over whole grain rice or quinoa as a meatless main dish.
- 1 small vidalia onion finely chopped (or ½ large vidalia onion)
- 2 garlic cloves minced (you can add up to 4 cloves garlic, depending on your preference)
- 30 oz canned diced organic tomatoes (or 4 whole garden fresh tomatoes pulsed in a food processor, leaving some small chunks of tomato)
- 1 ½ tablespoon sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ cup fresh green beans cut into small pieces
- ½ cup fresh zucchini cut into small cubes
- 1 ½ cups fresh okra cut into 1 inch slices
- fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 packet liquid chicken broth concentrate such as Savory Choice
Place sliced okra in a pan and cover with cold water.
Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse well. This step helps to reduce the slime on the okra.
Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
Add onion and cook until soft, but not brown, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and saute until garlic is lightly golden, about 1 minute.
Add okra, zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, chicken broth concentrate, red wine vinegar, sugar and pepper.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 297mg | Potassium: 845mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 852IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 3mg