Italian Sausage and Ravioli soup
A hearty and delicious recipe for Italian Sausage Soup made with Italian sausage, fresh ravioli pasta, vegetables, and seasonings.
- 3 links of sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 64 oz beef broth ( 2 cartons)
- 1 cup red wine never use a wine in your cooking that you wouldn't drink-make it a good one
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 shredded carrots
- 2 zucchini cut into small chunks
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves stems removed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 4 large basil leaves finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 container of Buitoni four-cheese ravioli in the refrigerator pasta section of your grocery store
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese for topping
Brown sausage in a large pot ( I love my enameled cast iron dutch oven for this-it is great for soups and braising foods.)
Remove sausage from pot and set aside.
Add olive oil to pan and saute onion and garlic until tender but not browned.
Add beef broth, wine, sugar, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, zucchini, bell pepper and sausage.
Boil then reduce to simmer (low heat) for 40 minutes.
Stir in ravioli and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
Stir in spinach and cook until just wilted.
Turn off heat and ladle into bowls.
Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 2339mg | Potassium: 986mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 6560IU | Vitamin C: 53mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 5mg