Mediterranean Chicken Quinoa Salad
A quinoa grain bowl made with sauteed spinach, chicken, vegetables, and feta cheese topped with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- 16 oz cooked chicken breast
- 1 ½ cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach chopped into pieces (you can also use tender kale leaves-remove stems)
- ½ cup red onion finely chopped
- ½ green pepper finely chopped
- 1 whole red pepper finely chopped
- ½ cup whole pitted Kalamata olives
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled (I used the reduced fat feta)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 cup peeled English cucumber chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 4 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Cook quinoa in the chicken broth and water, according to package directions (you are substituting chicken broth for some of the water)
Cool quinoa and set aside
Heat a medium nonstick skillet on medium heat.
Spray skillet with olive oil cooking spray and add chopped spinach.
Stir and cook until just soft and wilted and set aside to cool.
Pour quinoa into a large bowl and stir in cooked spinach
Add all of the chopped vegetables, parsley, cooked chicken, olives and feta cheese and toss to mix.
Whisk together fresh lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper and pour over salad.
Stir to mix and serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
Calories: 449kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 1038mg | Potassium: 771mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2142IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 4mg