Tomato Basil Bisque
Tomato basil bisque is a creamy, comforting soup. The best tomato bisque I've ever had, and it's a lightened up version, because this bisque is made without heavy cream.
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion I used sweet vidalia onion
- 1 cup peeled chopped carrots
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 large cans roma tomatoes drained well and coarsely chopped I used the 28oz cans San Marzano tomatoes
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups chicken broth love Wolfgang Pucks roasted chicken broth here
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 tbsp dried or fresh basil
1. Saute onion and carrot in a saucepan with oil over medium heat until onion is soft and opaque. Add garlic and saute for one more minute. Add tomatoes, broth, basil, salt and pepper.
2. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered until all veggies are tender (30-35 minutes).
3. Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes.
4. Puree in blender or food processor until smooth. Return to sauce pan and heat to serving temperature.