Braised Red Cabbage
Braised Red Cabbage is a healthy, delicious side dish. Paleo, gluten free, grain free, and low carb.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 4 slices nitrate-free bacon diced
- 1 head red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/2 large vidalia onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups beef stock or chicken
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp red wine a good drinking wine is best
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- sea salt and pepper to taste
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium-low heat until fat is rendered and bacon is crispy. Add onions and cook about 5 minutes longer, until onions are translucent. Add cabbage and thyme and cook for 15 minutes or until cabbage wilts.
Pour stock, vinegar and wine over cabbage; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes more. Season with sea salt and pepper and enjoy.