Pumpkin Chocolate Cupcakes with Protein Frosting
A simple recipe for chocolate cupcakes using canned pumpkin topped with a healthier protein-packed frosting
Servings 12 cupcakes
- Ingredients for cupcakes:
- 1 box chocolate cake mix I love the organic mixes like Arrowhead mills
- 15 oz can pumpkin
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- For frosting:
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 8 packets stevia or a little more to taste (I use the Whole Earth sweetener which is a stevia & monk fruit blend)
- 2 tbsp instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 small tub light cool whip or truwhip for a healthier option
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Mix all cupcake ingredients together.
Batter will be thick.
Pour into paper lined cupcake tins sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Put cottage cheese, stevia and cocoa powder into a food processor or Vitamix.
Blend ingredients until smooth and creamy for 2-3 minutes (you must do it this long to achieve a smooth and creamy texture).
Stir in pudding mix until blended and fold in cool whip.
Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes and serve.
Store in the refrigerator.
Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 420mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 5523IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 3mg