Old-Fashioned Date Nut Bread
A delicious and easy quick bread recipe made with whole-grain flour, Medjool dates, and pecans.
Servings 24 slices (4 mini loaves)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 8 oz Medjool dates pitted and chopped
- 1 cup natural cane sugar *Can also use coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or use 1 cup wheat pastry flour and 1 cup unbleached white wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans *Can also sub walnuts or almonds
Pour boiling water over dates and let sit for 15 minutes.
Beat sugar, egg and oil for 3 minutes on high speed of mixer.
Blend in date mixture and vanilla.
Combine flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
Add dry mixture, alternately with yogurt, to beaten mixture.
Stir in nuts.
Pour batter into 4 greased mini loaf pans (3 1/4 x 5 3/4")
Use about 1 cup batter for each pan.
They should look about half full.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until cake taster comes out clean.
Cool on wire rack.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 103kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g