Baked Stuffed Tomatoes
Delicious baked tomatoes stuffed with mushrooms and bread crumbs.
Servings 6 servings
- 6 large smooth tomatoes
- ½ cup finely chopped deli ham (I used Boar's Head low-sodium ham. The original recipe called for a boiled ham)
- 12 small-medium mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon bread crumbs I used whole wheat panko bread crumbs, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- a dash cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoon melted butter I used smart balance butter blend
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut a slice off the top of the tomatoes and scoop out the the seeds.
Mix together ham, mushrooms, bread crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and 1 tablespoon melted butter.
Fill tomatoes with this mixture, heaping it in the center.
Sprinkle a little bread crumbs on top of each one and drizzle with remaining tablespoon of butter.
Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes and broil for three more minutes, watching carefully to not burn.
Calories: 127kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 495mg | Potassium: 482mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1199IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg