Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
A family recipe for an easy and delicious homemade spaghetti sauce with a unique southern twist. This is a kid favorite in our house!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef I use 92% lean
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 green pepper finely chopped
- 6 stalks celery finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 12 oz tomato paste Two 6 oz cans
- 30 oz tomato sauce Two 15 oz cans
- 30 oz diced tomatoes Two 15 oz cans
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan or dutch oven on medium heat.
Add ground beef, celery, peppers, onion, and garlic and cook until meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
Drain fat and return beef mixture to pan.
Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a full boil. Stir and reduce heat to low.
Partially cover (I prop the lid on sideways to vent and simmer for at least two hours, stirring occasionally. The longer this simmers, the better.
Serve with your favorite pasta, spaghetti squash, or spiralized zucchini noodles.
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 1019mg | Potassium: 1171mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 1058IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 6mg