Slow Cooker Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
Slow cooker mashed potatoes made with Russet potatoes, white cheddar cheese, Greek yogurt (or sour cream), butter, garlic, and fresh herbs.
- Tie together with cooking string: 3 sprigs rosemary 3 sprigs parsley and 4 sprigs of thyme
- 8 med-large Idaho russet potatoes about 4 ½ lbs, peeled and chopped into 2” cubes
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 8 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 8 oz aged Vermont sharp white cheddar shredded
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 cup milk
- ½ oz chives finely chopped (more or less, to taste, or leave them out altogether)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
Spray a slow cooker with olive oil cooking spray.
Wash, peel and chop potatoes into cubes and place into the slow cooker.
Add chicken broth and smashed garlic, then place the herb bundle on top of the potatoes.
Cook 3 ½ hours on high, switching to warm setting when cook time is done.
Discard herb bundle.
Heat milk, cheese and butter in a pot over medium-low heat until smooth and melted, stirring often.
Remove from heat and stir in the yogurt or sour cream (your preference) and season with salt and pepper.
Pour mixture over the potatoes and use a potato masher or hand-held blender to whip potatoes (use a masher if you like a chunkier texture).
If needed, add a little more milk until desired consistency is achieved.
Add chopped bacon and chives on top of your loaded potatoes before serving. Serve hot. Drizzle with a little extra butter, if desired.
Calories: 318kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 328mg | Potassium: 686mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 513IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 188mg | Iron: 1mg