Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
*Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Servings 18 cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 stick olive oil butter blend or 1 stick organic unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar can sub coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar or sub granulated maple sugar
- 2 cups cake flour to make this healthier use 1 3/4 cups unbleached white wheat flour and 1/4 cup cornstarch-sift together well
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk mixed with 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups canned solid-pack pumpkin
- For the frosting:
- Two 8-ounce packages cream cheese(use 1/3 less fat), softened
- 1 stick unsalted organic butter or olive oil butter blend, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
Make the cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 350° (175°C). Line a cupcake pan with 18 liners.
In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugars on medium speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt into a medium bowl.
Add the eggs 1 at a time to the mixer, scraping down the sides after each addition.
Alternate adding the flour and milk mixtures, beginning and ending with the flour.
Beat in the pumpkin until smooth.
Scoop the batter among the cupcake liners — you’re looking to get them 3/4 full.
Rap the filled pans once on the counter to release any air bubbles.
Bake the cakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool the cupcakes on racks completely.
Make the frosting:
In a stand mixer beat all the ingredients on medium until fluffy.
You may need to add a little more powdered sugar until you get a good frosting consistency. Frost cupcakes swirling decoratively.
Refrigerate the cupcakes to set up frosting and store in the fridge in a covered container until ready to serve