Quinoa with Black Beans
fluffy protein packed quinoa with black beans can be served as a meatless main dish or a healthy side dish with grilled meats or fish.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup quinoa uncooked, rinsed
- 15 oz canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 4.5 ounce can diced green chilis
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth low sodium
In a large skillet add olive oil, turn to medium-low heat and saute diced onions until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute one additional minute.
Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet in the order listed above.
Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low boil and cook 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to sit 5 minutes covered before serving. Fluff quinoa with a large spoon and serve.