This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
A low carb lunch or dinner, microwave the spaghetti squash and whip up a quick asparagus and fennel sauce while it is cooking. It is a healthy dinner you can have on the table in no time.
A big hello to all of you wonderful readers of Amee's Savory Dishes. I am Christie, from Food Done Light, and am so happy to be able to support Amee in a small way. It is nice to be able to pay it forward a little and share this Spaghetti Squash with Asparagus Primavera recipe.
A few years ago now, my husband had a heart attack and needed heart surgery. I was very lucky to have a few of my blogging friends help me out. Now I am happy to say my husband is healthy and doing well now. I originally started Food Done Light to share my weight loss journey. It took a big turn with my husband's heart problems, and now I am back to concentrating on my health and weight loss journey. My recipes are all low calorie, healthy, and hopefully irresistibly delicious. I don't deny myself food; I just find ways to make them healthier but still tantalizing to the taste buds.
Swapping spaghetti squash for pasta is one of those win-win situations. I do not deny myself pasta or carbs, but I find that I feel better when I eat equal amounts of carbs and protein. That is what works best for me. At lunch, I like to have lots and lots of vegetables. Most times it is a quick salad, but sometimes I can have a wonderful lunch of Spaghetti Squash with Asparagus Primavera. This recipe is filled with Spring vegetables. It is quick and easy to make, thanks to cooking the spaghetti squash in the microwave. Boy is it a time saver. I hope you enjoy it.
Spaghetti Squash with Asparagus Primavera
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tsp. grape seed oil
- ¼ cup thinly sliced onion
- ½ cup thinly sliced fennel
- 1 garlic cloves minced
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- ½ lb. asparagus cut into 2 inch pieces
- 6 oz. frozen artichoke hearts defrosted
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup reduced fat cottage cheese
- 2 tbsp. sour cream
- ⅛ tsp. kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon
- Cut spaghetti squash in half and scrape out seeds. Pierce the skin with a fork.
- Place cut side down on a microwave safe plate.
- Microwave on high for 10 to 15 minutes, until fork tender.
- Scrape a fork over the spaghetti squash to shred.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat with oil.
- Add onions and fennel, cooking for 5 minutes, or until onions are tender.
- Stir in garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper cooking for another minute.
- Add asparagus. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add artichoke hearts and crushed tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until asparagus is just fork tender.
- In a small food processor, puree cottage cheese, sour cream, tarragon and a pinch of salt.
- Top squash with asparagus sauce and drizzle with tarragon cream.
Food Done Light is on a mission to keep passion for food but find ways to fit it into a healthy life and hopefully, along the way, change eating habits for good.
Healthy living one bite at a time is our motto. You will find heart healthy recipes with Weight Watcher points, and most of all the recipes are delicious. Just ask the Food Done Light family which includes my husband, 9-year-old daughter, Lucy, our 7 yr old Golden Retriever, and Stella, our 12-year-old cat. Find Food Done Light on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Twitter.
- Herb-Roasted Sheet Pan Chicken with Potatoes and Green Beans - February 8, 2021
- 50 Easy Breakfast Meal Prep Recipes - February 3, 2021
- Healthy Mixed Berry Smoothie - February 1, 2021