This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This salad in a jar is an easy recipe for meal prep that stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to a week. Add your favorite dressing and enjoy! Jar salads are the perfect portable lunch. Healthy and delicious!
Not only are jar salads really cute, but they stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to five to six days. I do not put dressing on the bottom of mine, so they last longer and stay crisp. If you are serving them right away, it’s fine to add dressing to the bottom of the jar before you start layering your salad ingredients. You can make these however you like, but the ingredients here will keep nicely and you’ll have lunch for the whole week. Saving time rocks! Oh, and serving things in cute jars is great, too.
If you need a few tasty dressing ideas, here are a few of my favorites…
Salad in a Jar Dressing Ideas:
- Homemade Greek Salad Dressing
- Paleo Creamy Balsamic Dressing
- Tangy Dijon Dressing
- Agave Poppyseed Dressing
- Favorite Salad Dressing
How To Make Salad In A Jar
(Layer from the bottom in this order):
Sweet or red onion, finely chopped
Carrots, finely chopped
Green peppers, finely chopped
Cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
Fresh Spinach leaves, chopped
Iceberg lettuce, chopped
sweet cherry tomatoes, keep whole
You can get really creative with ingredients for this layered jar salad. I wouldn’t recommend adding things that go brown or soften quickly, like avocado, chopped tomatoes, etc. You can always add those things when you are ready to dive in and eat. Enjoy!
Salad in a Jar
- Layer from the bottom in this order:
- Sweet or red onion finely chopped
- Carrots finely chopped
- Green peppers finely chopped
- Cucumber peeled and finely chopped
- Fresh Spinach leaves chopped
- Iceberg lettuce chopped
- sweet cherry tomatoes keep whole
- Layer all ingredients into a quart size mason jar in the order shown above. Cover with lid.
- Just before serving, add your favorite dressing to the salad, secure the lid in place and shake well.