Skinny Ms. is devoted to providing information and tools that inspire women to lead a healthy, active lifestyle. Skinny Ms. believes in eating whole-foods in an unprocessed state, the way nature intended. We know that by eating foods in their whole state, free of pesticides and genetic modification, we can provide the natural, essential nutrients our bodies need for fuel. We believe that because our bodies are 100% natural, what we put in our bodies should be too.
Black Beans and Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup quinoa uncooked, rinsed
- 15 oz canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 4.5 ounce can diced green chilis
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth low sodium
- In a large skillet add olive oil, turn to medium-low heat and saute diced onions until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute one additional minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet in the order listed above.
- Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low boil and cook 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to sit 5 minutes covered before serving. Fluff quinoa with a large spoon and serve.