Healthy ice cream recipes are homemade ice cream recipes that taste delicious and indulgent, but are better for you than traditional ice cream. During the warm weather months, we all like to enjoy frozen treats, and it’s nice when we don’t have to worry about whether or not they’re good for us. All of these healthy ice cream recipes are guilt-free and even manage to sneak in some great nutrients!
What Types of Ice Cream are Healthy?
The delicious ice cream recipes being shared today are made in one or more of the following ways:
- Completely sugar-free ice cream, or ice cream made with low glycemic sugar alternatives
- Ice cream made with natural sugars such as honey or maple syrup
- Frozen desserts using healthier fats like avocado or bananas instead of heavy cream
- Dairy free ice cream (vegan ice cream can be healthy, but be cautious about the amount of sugar used in the recipe)
How to Make Healthy Ice Cream Recipes
Some of these healthy ice cream recipes require an ice cream maker to create, some can be created in a high speed blender like a Vitamix, and others are completely churn-free ice cream! I’ll break them into categories for you so that you can find the perfect healthy frozen dessert recipe to meet your needs.
No-Churn Ice Cream Recipes
- 2-Ingredient Vegan Strawberry Coconut Milk Ice Cream from Salt & Lavender
- Banana Swirl Ice Cream, from We’re Parents (naturally sweetened)
- 4-Ingredient Keto Ice Cream (Vanilla), from Savory Tooth
- Fruit Sweetened No Churn Ice Cream, from Cotter Crunch (vegan, gluten free, paleo)
- Low Carb Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream, from Peace, Love and Low Carb
Blender Ice Cream Recipes
- 3-Ingredient Strawberry Cappuccino Ice Cream, from Strength and Sunshine (Nut free, vegan, gluten free, paleo)
Ice Cream Machine Needed
- No Sugar Added Butter Pecan Ice Cream, from Low Carb Yum
- Vegan Toasted Coconut Ice Cream, from View from Great Island
- Vegan Chocolate Pecan Ice Cream, from Life Currents (naturally sweetened)
- Key Lime Vegan Ice Cream, from The Roasted Root (dairy free, vegan, paleo, refined sugar free)
- Chunky Maple Peanut Butter Ice Cream, from Vegan in the Freezer
- Fresh Blueberry Ice Cream, from Katie Bird Bakes (vegan, dairy free, gluten free)
- Espresso Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, from Joyful Healthy Eats
Which of these healthy ice cream recipes are you most excited to try first?