This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Homemade salted caramel sauce makes a great homemade holiday food gift, or serve along with your holiday spread. Nothing makes a better gift than tasty treats from the kitchen!
Homemade salted caramel sauce is not difficult to make, but it does require patience and constant supervision. If you cook it a minute too long, or not long enough, it won’t become the rich and creamy caramel sauce that our taste buds know and love. You can adjust the salt amount to your taste buds, but I prefer not to overkill it in the recipe. You can always leave it out and add coarse salt as a garnish when serving.
You can use the homemade caramel sauce in cakes, cupcakes or simply pour it over a bowl of ice cream.
Let me know what you think of this homemade salted caramel sauce recipe!
Homemade Salted Caramel SaucePrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter cut into pieces
- ½ cup +2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ - 3/4 tsp coarse salt
- Heat sugar and water in a heavy med to large saucepan over medium heat.
- Allow mixture to boil until water begins to cook down and only sugar remains (about 5-8min), stirring occasionally.
- While stirring constantly. cook sugar until it melts and turns a nice golden amber color. Sugar will clump at first, then start to melt as it cooks into a rich brown colored liquid. Patience is important here, keep stirring!
- Once color is achieved and no clumps remain, add the sliced butter, while continuing to stir.
- When butter is melted, slowly stir in cream and boil for about a minute.
- Remove caramel sauce from burner and stir in salt and vanilla until combined.
Latest posts by Amee Livingston (see all)
- The Best Baked Brie with Apricot Jam & Almonds - December 3, 2019
- Amazing Green Bean Casserole From Scratch - November 24, 2019
- Applewood Bacon-Wrapped Venison Loin with Raspberry Sauce - November 15, 2019