This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Herb smashed potatoes are the perfect easy side dish for potato lovers! They’re roasted baby potatoes, combined with butter and herbs, to create a flavorful and fluffy potatoes dish.
This delicious smashed potatoes recipe is inspired by the Pioneer Woman Cooks recipe for Crash Hot Potatoes. A friend of ours made these for us last year and I loved the recipe, it’s a great variation of traditional roasted potatoes. The best part of these flavorful potatoes is how crispy the bottom gets when you roast them. I love to scrape all the crispy bits off the bottom of the pan and eat them before anyone else gets a chance to plate them up.
You can eat the herb smashed potatoes just as they are, or (my preference) pour a little melted butter on top as they are served. Potato heaven!
- 12 small whole new potatoes Yukon Golds are great here, too
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- dried or fresh rosemary to taste
- fresh or dried chives to taste
- melted butter optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Bring a pot of salted water to a full boil
- Add potatoes and cook them 15-20 minutes, until fork tender (time will depend on the size of your taters)
- Drain and rinse briefly with cold water
- Pat dry and set aside
- Drizzle a cookie sheet with olive oil and place potatoes on top, leaving room in between
- Press down on each potato with a potato masher in each direction, until the potato is flattened slightly
- Brush each potato generously with olive oil and sprinkle herbs, salt and pepper on top
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown
- Drizzle with melted butter and serve
If you enjoy the herb smashed potatoes, I bet you will love these delicious, easy potato recipes, too!
Latest posts by Amee Livingston (see all)
- The Best Baked Brie with Apricot Jam & Almonds - December 3, 2019
- Amazing Green Bean Casserole From Scratch - November 24, 2019
- Applewood Bacon-Wrapped Venison Loin with Raspberry Sauce - November 15, 2019