Herb smashed potatoes are the perfect easy side dish for potato lovers! They’re roasted baby potatoes, combined with butter and herbs, to create a flavorful and fluffy potatoes dish.
This delicious smashed potatoes recipe is inspired by the Pioneer Woman Cooks recipe for Crash Hot Potatoes. A friend of ours made these for us last year and I loved the recipe, it’s a great variation of traditional roasted potatoes. The best part of these flavorful potatoes is how crispy the bottom gets when you roast them. I love to scrape all the crispy bits off the bottom of the pan and eat them before anyone else gets a chance to plate them up.
You can eat the herb smashed potatoes just as they are, or (my preference) pour a little melted butter on top as they are served. Potato heaven!
Herb Smashed Potatoes
- 12 small whole new potatoes Yukon Golds are great here, too
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- dried or fresh rosemary to taste
- fresh or dried chives to taste
- melted butter optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Bring a pot of salted water to a full boil
- Add potatoes and cook them 15-20 minutes, until fork tender (time will depend on the size of your taters)
- Drain and rinse briefly with cold water
- Pat dry and set aside
- Drizzle a cookie sheet with olive oil and place potatoes on top, leaving room in between
- Press down on each potato with a potato masher in each direction, until the potato is flattened slightly
- Brush each potato generously with olive oil and sprinkle herbs, salt and pepper on top
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown
- Drizzle with melted butter and serve