Grilled Asian Shrimp Skewers is an easy dinner recipe from the cookbook, The Greek Yogurt Kitchen.
Creative, inspiring, diverse, tempting are all words I would use to describe The Greek Yogurt Kitchen by Toby Amidor MS,RD, CDN of Toby Amidor Nutrition. Toby sent me her book about a month ago, after we met in Denver at a Beef Bureau meeting. I couldn’t wait to go through it, try out some recipes and share a favorite with you.
It’s hard to pick one favorite from her collection of over 130 delicious and healthy creations, but this grilled shrimp dish is a “must try” recipe. It’s simple, nutritious and full of great flavor. In this cookbook, you’ll find everything from appetizers to desserts, demonstrating the versatility and tasty possibilities of one of America’s favorite power foods!
Try this grill Asian shrimp skewers recipe and I think you’ll find that it’s a healthy, easy weeknight dinner that the whole family will love!
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb about 32 extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Sriracha sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Mince 1 clove of the garlic
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the yogurt with the minced garlic, lime zest and pepper
- Add the shrimp and toss to coat evenly
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for exactly 1 hour
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill for medium heat
- If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 10 minutes
- Mince the remaining garlic clove
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the minced garlic, lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar and Sriracha until the sugar is completely dissolved
- Add the remaining 1 cup yogurt and stir until smooth
- Top with chopped cilantro
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade and allow the excess to drip off
- Remove the skewers from the water and thread 4 shrimp onto each skewer
- Grill until the shrimp are pink and cooked through, turning them over once, 1 to 2 minutes
- Serve warm, with the dipping sauce alongside
You can grab your own copy of “The Greek Yogurt Kitchen” on Amazon and get inspired to cook with yogurt!
A delicious side dish to serve with the grilled Asian shrimp skewers is:
For dessert, Coconut Chia Brown Rice Pudding would be delicious!