This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This simple recipe for Instant Pot Kheema Matar makes this traditional Indian dish a breeze to prepare in less than 30 minutes. This spiced ground beef dish is wonderful over rice, cauliflower rice or mashed potatoes and loaded with flavor.
I love Indian food. However, the exotic spice ingredients and lengthy preparation time can be a little intimidating for home cooks. The first time that I had incredible Indian food was at a restaurant in downtown Denver, Colorado. I was still in college and was out west visiting my parents at the time. It was my first experience eating freshly baked Naan bread from a tandoor oven and I was immediately hooked!
When cravings strike, my favorite local spot for Indian street food is Botiwalla at Ponce City Market in Atlanta. The Chicken Tikka Desi salad is amazing. It’s hard to branch out when I find something I love, but everything on the menu sounds amazing. Don’t forget to add the hot buttered Naan!
Easy Instant Pot Indian Recipes
When I heard about the release of Urvashi Pitre’s new cookbook, Indian Instant Pot Cooking: Traditional Indian Dishes Made Easy & Fast, I couldn’t wait to test it out. I was eager to help out with a cookbook review and try out more new recipes in the Instant Pot.
At the beginning of the cookbook, Urvashi includes a recipe for her favorite Garam Masala spice blend to ensure that your dishes turn out amazing. She highly recommends using this easy homemade recipe. A few of the store-bought brands just don’t compare. If you do end up buying it, go for a higher quality brand like Penzey’s, Whole Foods, Sprouts, Central Market or The Spice House.
The recipes are simple to prepare and average about 10-15 minutes of prep time. Who doesn’t love saving time in the kitchen?!! The recipes are flavorful and perfect for anyone who wants their meals ready in 30 minutes or less.
Instant Pot Kheema Matar
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp Ghee or peanut oil
- 3-4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 pods green or white cardamom
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup water
- In a small bowl, measure out the peas and set aside to thaw.
- Preheat the Instant Pot by selecting Sauté and adjusting to More for high heat.
- When the inner cooking pot is hot, add the ghee or peanut oil and heat until it's shimmering.
- Add the cinnamon sticks and cardamom and let them sizzle for 10 seconds.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, until the onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef and sauté long enough to break up the clumps, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, salt, turmeric, cayenne, coriander, cumin and water. Lock the lid into place.
- Select Manual and adjust the pressure to High.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure. Unlock and remove the lid. Mix in the peas, let them heat through, and serve.
You can grab your own copy of Indian Instant Pot Cooking by clicking the link below! This cookbook is currently available for pre-order. The official release date is September 19th.
*I am an Amazon affiliate partner. When you purchase on Amazon through my site, I receive a small commission, but it doesn’t cost you any more! I’m always grateful for your support for Amee’s Savory Dish!