This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
These flavorful Key Lime Cupcakes with Key Lime Buttercream Frosting were perfect for decoration for a St. Patrick’s Day theme. What screams “Happy St. Patty’s Day” better than these little angry Irishmen cupcakes?! Well, maybe a keg of Guinness, but for the kiddos, these cupcakes are a lot of fun.
Flynn said “how dare you do such stereotyping.” However, I can get away with this because I married one. He then told me that I should make drunk, angry Irishmen but I reminded him that they are for kids, too.
I love my Irishman who is definitely spirited and feisty. Life would be so dull without him. This idea was a big hit with the kids, too. Now that they are older, it’s taking a little more creativity to impress them.
These tasty little guys will be a fun addition to your green party and bring smiles to your guests. Erin Go Bragh!
How To Make Delicious Filled Key Lime Cupcakes
What You’ll Need to Make Angry Irishman Cupcakes:
- Cut the liquorice strips into the shape of hats.
- Using the black icing, pipe a line for the hat ribbon and place a yellow confetti candy sequin in the middle for the hat buckle. Set aside and allow them to dry for 24 hours.
- Bake 24 yellow butter cake cupcakes according to recipe or box directions and set aside to cool.
AFTER CUPCAKES HAVE COOLED
- Mix sweetened condensed milk with key lime juice and stir with a whisk. You can also add a tsp of fresh lime zest to this mixture.
Place mixture inside a piping bag with a Wilton #230 filling tip attached.
- While holding a cupcake in one hand, use the other hand to insert a cupcake filling tip in the middle of the cupcake. Slowly pull the tip up and out as you feel the cupcake start to expand. Repeat procedure with all cupcakes.
- Prepare the vanilla buttercream frosting and spread a thin “crumb” layer onto each cupcake. Refrigerate for an hour or so to allow it to firm up. Then use a flat icing spatula to complete frost the top of each cupcake.
- Now you are ready to assemble your men.
- Separate about 1/3 of the frosting in a bowl and add your orange food color gel. Blend until uniform and place it into a decorating bag with a star tip attached.
- Place hat on top of the cupcake and then add the eyes and the chocolate sprinkles for each eyebrow. Add the jellybean nose and then pipe on the fluffy beard.
Now your guys are ready to eat! Happy St. Patrick’s Day!! A few more favorite cupcake recipes that you must try are these S’mores cupcakes, Devil’s Food Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Buttercream, Bailey’s Irish Cream Cupcakes with Mocha Frosting and Moist Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting (my fall favorite!) That’s only a few of the cupcake recipes on this site. As you can see, I have a cupcake obsession. For more ideas, go to my recipes tab and search “cupcakes” for more tasty ideas!
Printable Instructions for Angry Irishman Key Lime Cupcakes
Angry Irishman Key Lime Cupcakes
- For the Cupcakes:24 yellow butter cake cupcakes homemade or from a boxed mix, baked into green paper cupcake liners
- 1 small can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup key lime juice make sure it's key lime and not regular lime juice, you want the tartness of the key limes
- 1 double batch buttercream frosting separated (recipe follows)
- 1 bag sweet and sour green liquorice strips for hats
- black icing for hat-I used the sparkle icing
- Chocolate dessert sprinkles for eyebrows
- confetti sequins candies you need the yellow for the hats
- small candy eyes
- orange gel food coloring
- Red jelly beans for nose
- For the Frosting I double this recipe:8 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 3/4 cups confectioner's sugar sifted
- 1 tsp clear vanilla extract so it won't darken your frosting color
- 3-4 tbsp key lime juice
- pinch of sea salt
- For Hats:Make 24 hats using the following method.
- Cut liquorice strips into the shape of a hat.
- Using the black icing, pipe a line for the hat ribbon, then place a yellow confetti candy sequin in the middle for the hat buckle.
- Set hats aside and allow them to dry for 24 hours.
- Bake Cupcakes:Bake 24 yellow butter cake cupcakes according to a homemade recipe or box cake directions and set aside to cool.
After Cupcakes Have Cooled:
- In a small mixing bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk with 1/2 cup key lime juice and stir with a whisk. You can also add a tsp of fresh lime zest to this mixture.
- Place mixture inside a piping bag with a Wilton #230 filling tip attached.
- While holding a cupcake in one hand, use other hand to insert a cupcake filling tip in the middle of the cupcake. Slowly pull tip up and out as you feel the cupcake start to expand with filling. Repeat procedure with all 24 cupcakes.
- Prepare Frosting:Using an electric mixer, whip butter in a mixing bowl until fluffy. Add sugar, salt, lime juice and vanilla. Blend slowly until incorporated and then gradually increase speed until frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Separate 1/3 of the buttercream frosting into a bowl and add orange food color gel to it. Blend until uniform and place into a decorating bag with a star tip attached. Set aside.
- Cupcake Assembly:Use the remaining white frosting to spread a thin "crumb" layer of frosting onto the top of each cupcake and then refrigerate for an hour or so to allow it to firm up.
- After crumb layer has set, fully frost tops of cupcakes using a flat frosting spatula to achieve a smooth surface.
- Place a hat on top of each cupcake and then add the candy eyes and one chocolate sprinkle for each eyebrow. Add a jellybean nose and then pipe orange frosting to create a beard onto each cupcake.
Latest posts by Amee Livingston (see all)
- The Best Baked Brie with Apricot Jam & Almonds - December 3, 2019
- Amazing Green Bean Casserole From Scratch - November 24, 2019
- Applewood Bacon-Wrapped Venison Loin with Raspberry Sauce - November 15, 2019