One meal that always has my family running to the table is a comforting dish, like lasagna. You know me, I have to put a healthy twist on it to boost the nutrition in the recipe, so I made this healthier zucchini lasagna. I made this Meaty Pesto and Tomato Lasagna variation a few years ago that was a big hit. So good!
This month, members of the Recipe ReDux group are sharing family favorite recipes with a healthy twist. I wanted to whip up a grain-free version made with zucchini (you guys should know about my zucchini noodle obsession by now), that still had all of the classic lasagna flavors.
This was a fun and easy re-do that everyone loved! I hope that you’ll be inspired to gather everyone back around your family table, as the busy school year begins. Dinner doesn’t have to be complicated to be healthy and delicious.
Zucchini Lasagna #RecipeReDux
- 2 medium-large zucchini
- 1 (24oz) jar organic marinara sauce
- 16 oz container low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole egg
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion (about 1 cup diced)
- 2 cups shredded 5 cheese Italian cheese blend (or mozzarella)
- 1 cup parmesean cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, rinsed and chopped fine
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend (such as McCormick's)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rinse zucchini and pat dry.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into strips about ⅛" thick.
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion, sauté for 1-2 minutes
- Add ground beef and garlic to skillet and cook until meat crumbles and is cooked through. Drain.
- Stir in pasta sauce, Italian seasoning, pepper flakes and fresh basil and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine ricotta cheese, egg, 1 cup shredded cheese blend, ½ cup parmesean, salt and pepper.
- In the bottom of a 8x8 baking dish, spread ¼ cup of the pasta sauce mixture.
- Top with 5-6 slices of zucchini.
- Then, top with ⅓ marinara beef mixture and ⅓ ricotta mixture.
- Add another layer of zucchini and repeat with remaining ingredients for 2 more layers.
- Top with remaining Italian cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes, uncovered.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8.
by Amee Livingston