There’s nothing better than fluffy pancakes on a weekend morning. My kids always vote for pancakes for breakfast! I love this recipe. It’s healthy, tasty and very simple to make. I found a can of organic sweet potato puree at the Dekalb Farmer’s Market, but it’s a cinch to make your own. You can cook the potato a day in advance, peel and puree, so that it’s ready to use the next morning. There is not a strong sweet potato flavor here, it’s very subtle. I love these pancakes to start off my day and I hope you do, too. Enjoy~
Sweet Potato Pancakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup white wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp natural brown sugar (or 1/4 cup whey low brown sugar)
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch nutmeg (about 1/8 tsp)
2 cups 1% milk (or skim)
4 tsp expeller pressed safflower oil (such as Spectrum brand)
1 whole egg and 2 egg whites
6 oz pureed sweet potato
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Stir all dry ingredients together with a whisk to blend. Then add all other ingredients and whisk until smooth. This is super fast and easy!
Spray a hot griddle with a little butter-flavored cooking spray and drop pancakes onto hot griddle using a 1/4 cup for each pancake. They are ready to flip when they are starting to bubble.
Cook until golden brown on each side.
I love to serve these with a little smart balance butter and organic apple butter. Delicious!!
They are also wonderful topped with toasted pecans and a drizzle of real grade A dark amber maple syrup. If you are watching your calories and sugar, top with your favorite sugar-free maple syrup.
Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup white wheat flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp natural brown sugar (or 1/4 cup whey low brown sugar)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg (about 1/8 tsp)
- 2 cups 1% milk (or skim)
- 4 tsp expeller pressed safflower oil (such as Spectrum brand)
- 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites
- 6 oz pureed sweet potato
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Whisk all ingredients until smooth and let batter sit for 5 minutes
- Spray a hot griddle with a little butter-flavored cooking spray and drop pancakes onto hot griddle using a ¼ cup for each pancake.
- They are ready to flip when they are starting to bubble.
- Serve immediately
by Amee Livingston