*I’m a member of The Beef Checkoff bureau. All opinions are my own.
I’m pretty much addicted to these Southwest Beef and Egg Muffins. They are super easy to make and have so much more flavor than plain scrambled eggs. I eat eggs almost every day for breakfast, but I love adding other lean proteins to them, like this 96% lean ground beef, to jazz up the flavor and boost the protein content.
Protein is great for satiety, but did you know that getting 25-30 grams of lean protein at each meal can actually help promote lean body mass and aid in weight loss?!
It really does a body good! I make a conscious effort to hit my protein macros each day, building lean muscle is an important goal for me with my resistance training. The folks over at Beef It’s What’s For Dinner have a great 30 Day Protein Challenge going on right now where you can get recipes, wellness tips and helpful tools delivered straight to your email! Best of all, it’s completely FREE! Head on over to sign up and you’ll get more recipe inspiration to help you meet your goals!
Southwest Beef Breakfast Cups
- 1 lb 96% lean ground beef
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 1/2 cups liquid egg whites
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 4 oz sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded from block
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- dash cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a nonstick skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Stir in ½ tsp salt, onion powder, garlic powder and chili powder.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together whole eggs, egg whites, remaining salt, paprika, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Divide cooked beef, evenly, among the cups.
- Then top with peppers, cheese and tomatoes.
- Pour egg mixture, evenly, over top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Store leftover egg cups in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
What’s your favorite protein-packed breakfast recipe? Share in the comments below.