This month’s Recipe ReDux theme is all about quick breads and fun ways to wrap them up, so I baked my favorite soft gingerbread to share. They make tasty holiday gifts! I love getting food gifts, especially if they are homemade. There is something special about receiving a gift that someone took time to create from scratch.
Scratch cooking seems to be a dying art these days, but I would love to see it make a come back. There does seem to be a growing movement to get back to our roots in the kitchen. It’s part of the reason that I started blogging in the first place, to share my passion for making healthy, wholesome food.
I want people to know that you can create recipes from whole food ingredients that aren’t very time consuming. Sure, I love the elaborate dishes that have lots of gourmet ingredients that require hours of slaving away in the kitchen. But let’s be honest, ya’ll, most people ain’t got time for that! I sometimes take shortcuts with recipes when I’m busy, but I try to stick to as many real food ingredients as possible.
I’m sharing a recipe for Soft Gingerbread that is easy to make (hence the quick bread theme) and a fun way to wrap them up for holiday gifts. I love the flavors of gingerbread in a soft loaf of bread, it’s a nice change from traditional cookies. I made this recipe in disposable (3.9×2.8×1.5) holiday baking containers that are perfect for gift giving (check out your local craft store or Home Goods for a variety of festive holiday baking supplies). I also love that there are less dishes to wash! Yay!! Another tip for this recipe if you are watching your waistline, is that you can substitute unsweetened applesauce for half of the butter to lighten things up.
After mixing your batter, fill your containers around 3/4 full.
Fresh from the oven….
For the soft gingerbread packaging, I used a cellophane bag (you can find these at your local craft store in many different sizes) and tied a string of kitchen twine around the loaf to attach the gift tag.
Soft Gingerbread #TheRecipeReDux
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (can do 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup applesauce)
- 1/4 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached white wheat flour (I use King Arthur brand)
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy
- Add molasses, yogurt, eggs and vanilla and beat on medium until well mixed, scraping down sides as needed
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients until blended
- Add dry ingredients, slowly, to wet ingredients until mixed
- Blend in boiling water
- Pour into one large greased and floured loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean (begin checking bread after 30 minutes for large loaf)
- For smaller loaves (3.9"x2.8"x1.5" pans), fill baking containers about ¾ full and bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean
If you have a favorite quick bread recipe that you make for the holidays, I would love for you to share it in the comments below!
Don’t miss out on all these other amazing quick bread recipes from my Recipe ReDux friends below!