Fish tacos are one of my favorite dishes to order when I dine out. I love fresh fish, especially the mild and meaty taste and texture of Mahi-Mahi. Not to mention, you get 20 grams of protein in a 3 oz serving. These Grilled Mahi Mahi tacos are so easy to throw together at home, the biggest challenge can be finding good quality fish.
I get frozen Mahi Mahi filets from my local butcher, they work just as well as the fresh filets, just thaw completely before preparing. To control the heat in the sauce, just use one chipotle for a little heat and all three for a nice spicy kick.
- ½ head red cabbage, shredded
- 4 fresh Mahi Mahi filets (or frozen, thawed)
- 4 tbsp + 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1-2 tsp adobo seasoning blend, to taste
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup mild to hot pickled jalapeños (depending on your preference)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 5.3 oz plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (depending on your heat preference)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- First, make the chipotle cream sauce.
- Place yogurt, sour cream, chipotle peppers, 1 tsp lime juice and coconut sugar in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (we used a Big Green Egg and heated it to 400 degrees F)
- In a shallow dish, pour 1 tbsp fresh lime juice over each Mahi filet, cover and place into the refrigerator to marinate for 15 minutes, while grill is heating up.
- Shred cabbage and set aside.
- Drizzle fish with olive oil, rub with adobo seasoning and season, lightly, with salt and pepper
- Cook Mahi Mahi on a grill pan, rotating every 5 minutes until filets flake but aren't falling apart (about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your filets)
- As soon as the fish goes on the grill, wrap tortillas in 2 stacks of 4 in aluminum foil.
- Heat in the oven for 15-20 minutes, while fish is cooking.
- Assemble tacos, using ½ filet per taco, top with shredded cabbage, pickled jalapeños and drizzle with chipotle cream.
Make sure to follow me on Instagram @ameecooks for more healthy living tips, food and fun!