*I am a member of the 2014-2015 Beef Expert Bureau funded by The Beef Checkoff. All opinions are my own.
This soup is super easy to throw together for a one-pot meal. I know that the pasta spirals aren’t traditional lasagna noodles, but they work great in this gluten free lasagna soup. I love using the gluten-free brown rice pasta, the texture turns out really good, some GF noodles can end up really mushy. Feel free to use traditional whole-grain pasta, if you prefer. I cook the pasta first, to al dente perfection, then just stir it into the soup at the end to warm it up. I love when easy tastes this good. 🙂
Gluten-Free Lasagna Soup
- 1/2 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 (24 oz) jar marinara pasta sauce
- 1 (32oz) carton unsalted chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
- 8 oz GF brown rice pasta spirals (I love Tinkyada brand)
- 6 TBSP ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat water in a large pot to boiling and cook pasta to al dente, according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water (to stop the cooking process) and set aside
- In a large dutch oven or stockpot, cook sausage and ground beef over medium heat until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- Drain fat from meat and add meat back to the pan
- Add carrots, onions, celery and red pepper to the meat and cook for 5-7 minutes, until carrots are beginning to soften.
- Add zucchini, tomato pesto, chicken broth and marinara.
- Bring to a quick boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in pasta and cook for 2-3 minutes until pasta is warmed.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with 1 tbsp ricotta and shredded parmesan cheese.
by Amee Livingston