I came up with this chicken tortellini soup recipe combining three different recipes that I already had. I love this fast, healthy meal and it is one of the few ways that my kids will eat spinach! My daughter told me tonight that the spinach soup was delicious and ate every last bite!
- 1 (32oz) carton organic chicken broth
- 1 (32oz) carton free range roasted chicken broth(such as Wolfgang Puck’s)
- 1 small diced onion
- 16 oz fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- 3 small chicken breasts(diced)-I lightly season them with salt and pepper
- ½ lb fresh spinach, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper(to taste)
- Fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese(block for best flavor)
- Dice chicken breast and onion.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and onion and cook for 5-8 minutes or until onion is transparent and chicken is cooked through.
- While chicken and onion are cooking, remove stems from spinach and rinse well.
- Coarsely chop spinach.
- Add stock to dutch oven and raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and return to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes until tortellini floats and is cooked through.
- Fold in spinach until it is all wilted in the soup.
- Season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Take off heat and serve topped with grated parm cheese and a crusty whole grain french baguette.
For an interesting kick:
Add 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger to the broth while cooking. For my veggie friends, just leave out the meat and sub the chicken broth with vegetable broth, add a can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped.